Are you showing early signs of gum disease? Our skilled dentists may recommend scaling and root planing to help fight the disease and regain your oral health. This deep cleaning treatment can remove the plaque and tartar that cause problems for your smile!
Scaling and root planing is one of the most common and effective treatments recommended for gum disease before it becomes severe and is often one of the first treatments our dentists and team provide when you are diagnosed with periodontal disease. It consists of two main steps:
- Scaling — in which the plaque and tartar (or calculus) are removed from your tooth surfaces.
- Root Planing — in which the roots of your teeth and cleaned and smoothed to remove bacterial toxins.
Most scaling and root planing treatments can be completed comfortably without an anesthetic, but anesthetic is available should you need it. Treatment is typically split into several appointments, with each appointment focusing on one specific section of the mouth. Your scaling and root planing treatment may be combined with other periodontal therapies, such as antibiotic treatments, to help ensure the best results for your oral health.
We strongly recommend that you visit Desert Dental Group regularly for preventive care to help you avoid gum disease and keep your smile healthy. We will check for signs of periodontal disease during each of your exams, and we encourage you to contact us if you notice any signs of gum disease in your mouth. Signs of gum disease include:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Bleeding when brushing, flossing or eating hard foods
- Gum recession
- Loose or separating teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Sores in your mouth or pus between your gums and teeth
- Changes in your bite or in the fit of removable oral appliances
For more information about gum disease and scaling and root planing in Tucson, Arizona, or to make an appointment with Dr. Brett Barney and Dr. Jonathan Hall, contact our office at 520-663-0419.